Saturday, February 15, 2014

Roasted Vegetables




Harmon’s grocery store offers fantastic cooking classes that I love to consider attending.  To date, I have been to two:  TJ and I attended a knife skills class that we loved and for a friend’s birthday last year, she and I attended a class on herbs and oils.  It was enjoyable (though I stink at tasting spices and naming them blindly) and we made roasted vegetables, which has become one of our regular recipes.  This is a great way to enjoy fresh vegetables and roasting makes them extra flavorful.  Feel free to mix up which vegetables you use (we have never used zucchini because…I just don’t adore it).


Roasted Vegetables
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ yam, cubed (*I usually just use the whole thing)
1 zucchini, diced
1 carrot, diced
1 parsnip, diced
½ red onion, quartered
1½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme (worth getting fresh, but if you don’t have it, just use dried)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary (worth getting fresh, but if you don’t have it, just use dried)
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

On a half sheet tray combine all ingredients and cook in a 375 degree oven.  Cook until vegetables are fork tender, but still have a snap.  Cooking time should be around 25-30 minutes depending on how the vegetables are cut.

*Note on cutting these: peppers and onions will cook fastest, so cut them largest.  Also, we typically use a parsnip in this.  Have you ever had a parsnip?  They look like big white carrots.  They are great (disclaimer: we have only had parsnips roasted, so can't attest to their flavor raw or otherwise).

*Another note: I thought that the longer these marinated in balsamic vinegar (which I could drink) the better they would be.  Wrong.  They get mushy, so don’t do that.  

*A final note: we don't peel our carrots anymore.  We wash them well and save ourselves a lot of time and peels by just eating them as they come.  It's terribly liberating.

Enjoy! And HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY (here's hoping Holly gets a ring!)

4 comments:

  1. hahahahah I LOVED this. Simply sensational! There were multiple times I laughed out loud as I read it. I do enjoy roasted vegetables! I will have to give this a go! I have never tried parsnip- what does it taste like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to describe the flavor of a parsnip. It's pretty full, I guess almost nutty in flavor (I just hear food critics say that, I don't really think it's nutty). Just give one a go - I really like them!

      Delete
  2. Rachel this looks amazing, I love your pictures. I love trying new vegetables. Can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like them! We like ours to still have a bit of a snap to them so typically undercook them a bit but you can find whatever you like. Enjoy!

      Delete