Monday, February 3, 2014

February 4, 1928

After work tonight TJ and I met at Grandma Savage's house.  Tomorrow will be Grandma's 86th birthday.  Steph and Rose were there with brownies and ice cream, so we joined in singing happy birthday and smiled watching her blow out her two candles. 


TJ and I decided that for FHE this year we would try to do some act of service each Monday night.  Last week we drove to Grandma's and started going through the genealogy that she has spent so many years compiling.  Through several decades Grandma has handwritten hundreds of pages: about her own life, her father's, her siblings'.  TJ and I took home a stack last week and spent a few hours typing them up, hoping to preserve the memories she has gathered. It has been a treat to come to know her better. 

In celebration of her birthday, I wanted to share a few of our favorites.  Angela, with some stroke of brilliance, gave Grandma a jar of questions to write about when she was 70.  Bless Grandma's heart, she answered a question everyday for months.  The below excerpts are from those pages.  Isn't it wonderful to know more about her?


Describe a childhood Christmas:
When I was a child, we never started decorating or putting the tree up until three or so days before Christmas. Our tree was just a branch. Mom and Dad would take the wagon and horses and go over the hill to a neighbor's, who had a grove of huge cedars. Every year he gave them permission to cut our "Christmas Tree".  We'd make paper chains and other home made ornaments, all of us. It was beautiful!

For several nights after we kids were in bed, Mama kept her treadle sewing machine humming late into the night. Christmas morning we each got a new gown or pair of pajamas, some times a new dress, maybe a few doll clothes. Christmas Morning, fire in the big wood stove, opening presents all together. Laughter -- joy!
 
 
Describe your cooking skills as a spouse:
I grew up cooking on a big wood burning cook stove. Was pretty talented grabbing a chicken out of the yard, chopping off its head, dressing it and frying it up for supper with mashed potatoes, gravy and a veggie or two on the side.

Then came marriage and a little gas stove in the kitchen (which I had no idea how to use all the knobs & buttons.). I well remember putting my first "scratch" cake in the oven and setting the temperature on 375.  In about 10 minutes, I could smell it burning, but obviously runny in the middle.  Garbage!  Late I learned the oven was set on "broil," not "bake"!
 
Another time I hit what I assume was a pheasant, with the car.  I knew John hunted pheasants and his mother cooked them for him (I'd never seen one before).  I gathered up my roadkill pheasant, hurried home to dress it out and prepare it for supper.  I just knew John would be so proud of my culinary skills.  This pheasant was pretty small, so I figured it was a young, tender one.  I cut it up and prepared it for frying.  Since I dipped it in flour, it browned nicely, but wasn't one bit tender.  So I added water to the pan and covered it to steam a while.  In the meantime, I cooked and mashed potatoes and made gravy.  Soon as John came home from work, I told him to wash up and sit right down, I had a surprise for his dinner.  He took one look at the cooked pheasant and said, "What the heck is this?"  (Was tough as an ole shoe).  After I told my story and he looked at the feathers in the garbage, I think John determined my pheasant was a magpie.


Describe walking down the main street of your hometown:
Well, the first "hometown" I ever had, was when I began my Freshman year in High School, in Prague, Oklahoma, when I was 13 years old.

At that time Prague had a total population of about 1100 people (as I remember). Seems like we had a one hour lunch from school. The high school was only 2 or 3 blocks from Main Street, where there was this heavenly bakery, with delicious sweet rolls 2 for a nickle! Every day Velma Hollon and I would walk down town and share the 5¢ sweet rolls! Then there was time to walk by Haynee's 5 and 10¢ store, the Bank owned by Hina Wilson's father, the Hardware Store, the Mortuary (Parke Bros.), a couple of Feed Stores and Groceries. Back to school by a Service Station where a cute guy worked. (Velma says I always flirted with him.)


Tell about a special date you had:
Probably the most special date I had, was my first date with an Air Force Sergeant by the name of John Savage.

We went to see the movie "Spellbound" with Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman. The movie was filled with suspense. My eyes were riveted to the screen. John had his arm around my shoulder, and out of my peripheral vision I could see his eyes were riveted on me! This was a great movie and I couldn't understand why he kept looking at me instead of the screen.

Over the years, when we spoke of that first date, John always said he was "Spellbound" by me!

He was so sweet, I think that night I fell in love with him.
 
 
What are some of your favorite smells?
Honey suckle vines, locust trees in bloom, roses, lilacs, turkey roasting in the oven, Thanksgiving and Christmas mornings, Mama's fresh, baked, homemade bread, her fried chicken and homemade pies, the smell of the rain, the smells of Christmas. 


Tell about a frustrating experience you've had with your car.
The most frustrating memory I can recall with our car, happened in probably 1952. Johnny was about 4 years old, riding in the back seat. I was driving the 1949 Plymouth. We were going down 5400 South, east toward Redwood Road. It was winter time, we were about a half block from Redwood Road, I hit a patch of black ice. The car went into a spin, I was not experienced in winter road conditions, so I have no idea what I did with the wheel! But I remember having my small son say "Mom, stop it! You're not funny!" He thought I was playing like we were a record going round and round! I've always felt my guardian angel stopped us safely by the side of the road.
 
 
What is the most important lesson, message, or advice you’ve learned and would like to pass on to others?
Oh, my goodness! I don't consider myself an authority to advice anyone. However, I do have a strong testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Throughout my life I have tried to follow His teachings. Even now, at 72 years of age, I am still trying.

I know each of us are tested -- some more than others. The Lord needs to know if we will remain faithful to Him through all types of adversity.

Even though we may stumble and fall away from our Father, we can be forgiven, and He welcomes us with open arms.

I am so grateful to have learned that I am truly a child of God.
 
 
Happy birthday to a wonderful woman.

-Rachel

3 comments:

  1. Love it - thanks so much for the insights Rach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rachel we went up and visited with Grandma on her birthday. She mentioned that she was so happy to have you and TJ come up each week and spend time with her. She is an amazing lady that I love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a woman!! I surely do love her! And some of those stories are hilarious! :) Today in one of my classes we talked a lot about woman in WWII and what their roles were. I wonder what she did (in regards to the work force), and what her mom did during that time. I will have to inquire and report back!

    ReplyDelete