Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Gardening

On LDS.org, there are a number of articles referring to the importance of growing a garden.  

Lesson 16: Home Gardening in the Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood: Basic Manual for Priesthood Holders, Part B, (2000), 139-51, and in Lesson 25: Home Gardening in The Latter-day Saint Woman: Basic Manual for Women, Part A, (2000), 176-85, we learn that there are many rewards to home gardening:
  1. Family Unity
  2. Appreciation of Work
  3. Self-Sufficiency
  4. Instruction and Pleasure
  5. Health
  6. Reduced Expenses
Allie Schulte from Welfare Services wrote an article in March 2011 Ensign titled, Seeds of Self-Reliance. She quotes Elder L. Tom Perry of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as saying, "There have been very few years in my life when I have not been responsible for a garden.  Even now as a city condominium dweller, I still plant and harvest a garden each year....

"Each spring as I look over an insignificant, small seed and place it in a well-prepared seed bed, I marvel at how much it will produce.

"Our labors will continue to bring forth a more abundant harvest year as we follow the Lord's law of the harvest.  He has bound himself to provide us with abundance so long as we will live his law of righteousness and labor for that blessing.

"Have your own experience in planting a garden.  Then make application in your own life of this great principle of the law of the harvest.

On March 16, 2011, there was an article titled, "Planting the Seeds of Self-Reliance".  
Here are the article highlights:
  • Any old container, such as a bucket or juice bottle, can become part of a container garden.
  • Use old shelves or stacking bins to make better use of vertical space.
  • Make sure the plants get sufficient light and adequate water.
  • Be patient.  It may take a few tries.

The Family Home Evening Resource Book, (1997), 307, has a section titled: Gardening in Containers has a chart that outlines common garden crops, the container needs, growing season, planting time, harvest days, and the mature size of plant.  

Provident Living has a section devoted to gardening.

Better Homes and Garden has an article, "25 No-Cost (or Low-Cost) Garden Tools".  It discusses everyday items, such as milk cartons and yogurt containers, that can be used in gardening. 

Robert and I have enjoyed trying our hand at gardening in the Natural State.  Although we have battled snakes, rats, birds, bugs, and armadillos, it has brought us a lot of joy to partake of the bounty of our harvest.  I realize I am probably preaching to the choir, as you have all tried your hand at gardening, but perhaps if you try a garden on a smaller scale it would be more enjoyable.

With that counsel in mind, Robert and I are starting seeds indoors.  We only buy seeds for food we will actually eat.  I personally am not a fan of green beans or zucchini, so we do not have any of those seeds.  This year we are growing tomatoes, bell peppers, onions, lettuce, spinach, and cucumbers.  You can buy the seeds at The Home Depot for around $1.50 per pack.


 I start them indoors, and transplant them to our outdoor garden once the danger of frost is past.  However, if you wanted to keep them in a container, just make sure the container will support the plant.  We bought this starter kit for $8.  It has 72 pods/pellets.



You just add water and watch the soil grow!


Add 2-3 seeds per pellet.


Cover with the lid and place in a sunny area (but not direct sun).

Here I am poking holes in the bottom of a styrofoam egg carton.  The lid has been cut off, and it serves as a drip tray.

We bought onions that have already been started, as well as some seeds.  Here I am putting onions in the egg carton.


Cover with soil. and place in a sunny area as well.


 I also really really enjoy growing my own herbs.  I love to cook with the freshest ingredients, and buying bunches of herbs can get pricey.  I have another container (not pictured) with seeds for my herbs.  I have some herbs that are very hearty and can withstand the freezing rain (literally!) outside.  Below is a what has survived the cold weather.  The pot on the right has rosemary.  It is extremely hearty!  The long rectangular pot has thyme and the ice cream bucket has chives.  If you wanted to plant your herbs in a small decorative pot, you would be able to bring them indoors during the cold months and continue to harvest as needed.  You simply cut off (with scissors) what you need for cooking.  You typically triple the amount of fresh herbs called for in a recipe.  For example, if the recipe calls for 1 teaspoon of dried parsley, you should chop up about 3 teaspoons of fresh parsley.


 I hope that you all try your hand at gardening this year, even if it is only one plant.  Grow and harvest something you will actually consume.

-Julie

6 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this post. Not too long ago I read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" which tells about a family that lives a year off only what they can grow or purchase locally. Though a bit laborious at times, it was a good read and really made me think more about living locally. There are so many fantastic benefits to growing your food, as you outlined. I'm going to dig into more of these resources! (Ha - pun not intended)

    Is it time to start seeds growing already? I think we're going to plant more food in our flower beds this year, as we haven't yet filled them with bushes. You've got me excited to start!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arkansas' planting season starts about a month before Utah's. However, you can start the plants indoors and just continue to move them to bigger containers until the danger of frost is past. If you do herbs that are going to stay inside, you can start them at any time!

      Delete
  2. So informative Sis. I would really love to plant a successful garden this year! You have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sis. You can do it! Just grow things you will actually eat and enjoy!

      Delete
  3. CUTE!! I can't wait till I have my own place that I can have a little garden :) I have recently started eating TONS of fresh produce and so I'm sure it is not only fun to have your own harvest, but a money saving opportunity as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can start a garden even in your apartment! If you have a window for light, water, soil, and seeds you are good to go. There are tomato plants designed for apartments. You can do one now!

      Delete