Saturday, February 1, 2014

Holidays

In our family holidays are a huge deal.  It is the way time is gaged.  The years starts with New Years which means fireworks and a party and then is followed by Valentines which means heart cookies and Valentines to all we love.  St. Patrick's Day means a tricky leprechaun usually stops by and drops off Lucky Charms, gold coins and plays a naughty trick.  Easter is a time to reflect on the Savior, find colorful eggs, and typically be relaxing in someplace a little warmer.  Conference Weekend also needs to be mentioned.  It has turned into a weekend of spiritual feasting, conference baskets and lots of exclamations of "Happy St. Conference Day!"  July 4th is celebrated with fireworks, barbecues and swimming and just around the corner the 24th is celebrated much the same way.  Alpine Days has also become a day of celebration, starting with the Fun Run, Fireman Breakfast and "Candy Parade" (Nicknamed because the only sight to be seen is candy being thrown!)  Halloween usually begins at the beginning of October with serious costume reflection.  Halloween magazines are poured over in search of the perfect costume.  A visit to the pumpkin patch, carving pumpkins, Halloween photos and spooks set up around our house all make Halloween a real treat!  Thanksgiving has become a two day celebration.  We cook all week and think about our many blessings while making priceless memories with family and together while preparing a feast of food.  The year wraps up with Christmas which means so many things to us some of which include divinity, Santa Party, gingerbread, little chickens, Grandma and Grandpa's house, Christmas stories under the tree…

To my children I find their little world revolves around these celebrations.  Holidays are something they look forward to and cherish.  I find it is often the little things that they remember the most.

With today being February 1 (I apologize I am a day late posting) I thought this would be a fun tradition to add. I found this idea on Pinterst and thought it would be a perfect way to add a little love to our Valentine Holiday.

Each day until Valentine's Day you put a heart on a significant others door of a reason you love them.  I thought this seemed simple yet special.  Happy Valentine's Celebration to all!

 

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading through these-there are some ideas of traditions I'd like to start with TJ. I think traditions are so important and become so memorable as the years start to fade together. Childlike enthusiasm over holidays keeps me feeling young!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids love holidays! I need to do a better job of starting traditional things during each holiday season. Thanks for this cute idea sis!

    ReplyDelete