Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What I've Been Reading Lately


With a trip to St. George two weeks ago, Lake Powell today (wahoo!), a quick jaunt to Vegas next week, and Philadelphia in a few weeks, I am trying to pull together a list of fabulous books for flights, drives and laying in the sun.  I love reading and it seems the best vacations are measured in books for me!

What's I've been reading lately:


Kensuke's Kingdom - a boy that goes traveling with his parents is unknowingly thrown overboard but survives, alone, on an island.  One of the best I've read in a while.

Delancey - Molly Wizenberg's story of opening a pizza restaurant with her husband in Seattle.  I read Molly's first book (A Homemade Life) last year and it was pretty good - Delancey has gotten a lot of buzz and it was pretty good.  I had no idea how long you could spend playing with pizza dough recipes (I also didn't know you could effectively make dough with 1 teaspoon of yeast for 8 pounds of flour).  I liked this fine, but wouldn't reread it.  As fair warning, it had the f word maybe 4-5 times.

Fair Weather - I fell in love with Richard Peck through A Long Way to Chicago and A Year Down Yonder.  This book was about a country family that takes the long train ride (their first ever) to the Chicago World Fair.  I knew very little about the Chicago World Fair before reading this and was blown away by some of the details!  It was a great read.

Hattie Big Sky - This was a reread, but it was the audiobook we picked for the drive.  It's still a good one.


I grabbed the following for Lake Powell and am hoping some of them are great!
Pride and Prejudice
Jefferson's Sons
Here Lies the Librarian
The Mouse with the Question Mark Tail
Emma
A Family of Readers
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society
Provence, 1970
Banner in the Sky


I am also looking out for new books - what have you read lately?  Was it bad, good or fabulous? 

Wish you were all coming to Lake Powell.  HAPPY ST. CONFERENCE! 

4 comments:

  1. I wish I had read some fantastic book recently, but lately I'm mainly tied to my darling textbooks. I don't think you would enjoy reading those.

    Have a BLAST in Powell!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rach! We are all jealous of Lake Powell. A great read is Between Shades of Gary by Ruta Sepetys. (Not to be confused with 50 shades of gray!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read a series by N.C. Allen with Isabelle Webb. They (trilogy) were pretty silly and I would not recommend them as they were long. I have read a lot of picture books, and there have been some really great ones! Jealous of Powell...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I got tired surfing - "Sasso would not get out if she was tired! She would go and go because she loves it so much!"

      Truly it was gorgeous and made me wish the whole family could have been there.

      Delete