Friday, October 3, 2014

Recipes

As many of you know, I love to cook as well as I love nutrition. I love learning about it and applying it to my daily life. In one of my nutrition classes this semester, I have to give a 20 minute presentation on something that is nutrition related. I have had the hardest time trying to figure out what in the world to do this presentation on.
I went in and was talking to my friend Matt Schmidt and he gave me the most excellent idea. I know right now in my life I am incredibly busy and I am hardly ever home, but generally when I do go home it is to make me dinner. I know that all of us have crazy busy lives and most everyone is trying to prepare dinner for their families that are both nutritious and delicious.
So I decided that I am going to do my presentation on quick, easy, nutritious meals for a crazy busy person. It will emphasize how people who make homemade meals are healthier than those who eat out everyday and if you just take 30 minutes to prepare them you are making your whole family healthier. This is where you all come in, I love hearing ideas of foods that are super good, and quick to make. Something that isn't the same old hamburger rice or potato bar every night. We all know how to do that. I know that all my sisters enjoy time in the kitchen, so I am asking that you post some of your favorite quick, and easy meals so that I can use them for my presentation. I am thinking I will put them into categories so give me anything and everything you've got.
I know I can of course use pinterest for ideas and things that way but I want to use things that I know will work.
Tell me your input and what you think of this whole presentation idea. Love you all!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite quick fix for dinner is quiche. I chop and sauté 3 peppers in a little bit of olive oil. After they are soft I pour them in a pie dish with six egg whites and some salt and pepper. I cook at 350 for about 30 minutes. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started doing quiche in the last year and agree that it's fabulous! There are so many combinations too - we love doing it with a small can of green chiles for a kick. You can also do combinations of onions, asparagus, broccoli, cheese, etc. I keep frozen pie crusts in the freezer because we like ours with a crust - fabulous!

      Delete
  2. I do breakfast for dinner a lot- crepes, French toast, etc. I can look through my cookbook and text you pictures of recipes... just remind me if I don't send them to you by the end of the week! Oh, and have fun on The Subway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Quick plug here for melskitchencafe.com - she does lots of healthy recipes and has a button in her sidebar for things that pull together in less than 30 minutes. Some of my VERY favorites:
    -Balsamic chicken noodle bowls (melskitchencafe)
    -Coconut curry soup (melskitchencafe)
    -Penne with roasted asparagus and balsamic butter (melskitchencafe)
    -Tuscan sausage and white bean soup (melskitchencafe)
    -Chicken tacos (the kind we made together!)
    -Breakfast burritos (any combination of eggs, hashbrowns, peppers, onions, avocados, salsa, corn or flour tortillas)
    -Egg and avocado quesadillas (recipe here: http://milarsisters.blogspot.com/2014/01/egg-and-avocado-quesadillas.html)
    -Poached eggs with cheese and chickpeas: http://www.everyday-reading.com/2013/05/poached-eggs-with-cheese-chickpeas.html
    -Asian slaw salad http://www.onceuponachef.com/2011/03/asian-slaw-with-ginger-peanut-dressing.html

    Good luck on your project!

    ReplyDelete