Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Christmas Books: A Countdown


I love Christmas.

When I think of my favorite holidays, I definitely think of Christmas.  I also think of summer.  I’m not honestly sure which one I love more.

Last year TJ and I started a new tradition, inspired by this blog post I read.  Every day in December we read a new Christmas book, most of them checked out from the library.  You’re probably thinking, “It’s October.  Now is not the time to think about Christmas.”  But!  If you want the good Christmas books, you have to be strategic about getting them!  Let me try to give a brief explanation before getting to the good stuff: the list of books!

The trick about having library Christmas books in December is getting them early enough and then extending how long you have them.  Sometimes I feel medium bad about this, but there are so many Christmas books out there that I think people surely find others to love.  SO, I will look these books up on the library site early/mid-November.  I will put in a hold request for them, and because it is November they will likely not have a very long wait.  When they come in they will sit in the hold area for up to a week, and I will wait until the last day to pick them up, then I have three weeks until I have to return them!  So, that gets me to the middle of December.  I try to watch for which books I can renew (if someone else puts a request in you can’t renew them) and those books I save for closer to Christmas.  The last books before Christmas are our personal copies that we own, since I have to return the library copies before then!  Last year it worked like a charm, and I'm hoping this year will go the same way.  :)

Here is a list of some of the ones we liked best last year:
Christmas in the Country
A Creature Was Stirring
Millie in the Snow - probably our favorite last year!
Mortimer’s Christmas Manger
Mr. Willoby’s Christmas Tree
Room for a Little One
Toot and Puddle I'll Be Home for Christmas - we bought this one too!
The Nutcracker
Toot and Puddle Let It Snow
My Pen Pal, Santa
The Tailor of Gloucester
The Missing Christmas Treasure
The Polar Express
The Watchmaker Who Saved Christmas

I got this idea from Janssen, and you can see some of her past lists here and here.

As you can see, our list is not long enough for December this year.  Please - I'd love to have you leave comments of some of your Christmas favorites so I can get us to 25!

1 comment:

  1. What a fun list! I really like The True Story of the Candy Cane (not sure exactly the author). There are others I really enjoy, but unfortunately I cannot recall names (and they are packed away in boxes). Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete