Friday, October 17, 2014

Organic Chemistry

Some people may ask, what I am doing with my life. As of late I do the same thing from the time I wake up at about 8 a.m.  to the time I go to bed at about 1 a.m.
 Have you ever wondered how medications are made, how certain diseases are cured, why your body does this or that, why some people (like Mary :)) are allergic to everything, how foods react or why cleaners work? Well I can tell you. We all know that God created everything on this earth, but he didn't just throw everything together. He had a very strategic plan. He made everything out of these tiny things called atoms. Atoms work together to form bigger things called molecules and molecules build off of each other into bigger things called molecular compounds.
This is what I study all day everyday. I am getting down to the nit picky details of what this world is made of. It is called Organic Chemistry. Organic chemistry deals with organic compounds made up of carbon atoms. Here is a typical picture of something I study, figure out how it reacts or doesn't react, what it reacts with, how you can change it and even the organic name.
Just to give you a little bit of an insight the real name or IUPAC name of Fructose is  (3S,4R,5R)-1,3,4,5,6-pentahydroxyhexan-2-one. Yes I know how to name this and what that means.  I really find this subject very interesting. Yes, it is incredibly hard and I continue to learn more everyday, I really enjoy the class, it is just extremely difficult and takes a lot of time. I have learned so much, even though I feel like I know nothing. Some examples of things I have learned about are testosterone, estrogen, why people or babies jaundice, different drugs you can buy OTC or  prescriptions and why they work, plus many more things. I have had to dedicate most of my time to this class because it is so much detail and we learn something new every single day, (Except Saturday and Sunday of course) and even with that I am still studying. I have never worked so hard to fail at something so miserably and by that I mean it. Never before have I ever read a text book all the way through each chapter about 3 times doing all the problems and answering all the questions at least twice and I'm still not passing the class. hahah Many of my friends ask me why I study so much, I tell them because even though I study so much I still have so much to learn. The balance is very difficult, but I know I can do it!Not only has this class taught me all about chemistry, but it has taught me to study for something that I want and to never give up. I have broken down crying multiple times over this silly class, and even if I don't pass it this semester I always have next semester. It isn't the end of the world. So just remember, we can do anything we put our minds to. Even in the hardest of days look to the future and you will see that it was all worth it. Keep being fantastic! :)

3 comments:

  1. You are brilliant! I really admire your determination to figure out O. Chem. It looks like you really are getting down to the nitty-gritty details. Do pharmacies use this info to make prescriptions? Or does it help you diagnose patients? I am curious if you will be using/referring to it in your profession...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Choo Choo, I love your determination - I see in you a stubborn conviction that you'll figure this out, even though it is incredibly hard. One day you might even look back and miss these days when you could focus so much time on studying and learning - I miss it almost daily. :) Try to enjoy the ride.

    We're all cheering for you - hang in there! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige I love your determination and hard work. I truly believe hard work can get you wherever you want to be in this life. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete