Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My Life

My life is unpredictable.  I find the more I plan, the less it happens.  Most days I wake up curious to see how the day will turn out!

Friday was no exception to the excitement in my life.  I woke up late - 6:45!  I jumped out of bed quickly got dressed and ran down to the treadmill figuring I could at least start my workout.  I ran 1.2 miles when Emma yells over from the piano, "Mom, I have a few questions on piano.  Will you help me."  I tell her of course and jump off the treadmill and over to the Boston to answer her questions.  While I am helping Emma on the piano, Anna stumbles downstairs.  With a hoarse whisper and tears in her eyes she says, "Mom, my throat hurts so bad."  I tell her I will get her Motrin and a smoothie.  I ask Emma if she feels she has a handle on piano.  She assures me that I answered her questions.  I dash upstairs and quickly make Anna a smoothie and give her Motrin and reassure her she will be okay.  She proceeds to pound her fists on the table and shout, "MOM, I AM NOT OKAY!"  At this point Tanner pokes his head in the kitchen.  I look at the clock it is 7:47.  I tell Tanner to quickly get his book so we can start his 30 minutes of reading aloud.  Anna looks over at me and says, "Mom thanks for the smoothie I am feeling so much better."  Lexi wakes up and runs downstairs, "Mom I am so excited to go to the barn today like you promised!" (We were supposed to go Thursday but much to her dismay that didn't work out.)  My phone dings, I check it.  It is a reminder of the book fair take down I signed up to help with at 1:00.  Tanner runs in with his books an we start reading at 7:50.  About ten minutes into our reading Emma and Parker run upstairs to tell me that they need to take a treat to school.  I tell them okay I will think of something.  While I am listening to Tanner read I am racking my brain and trying to come up with something I can make in a few minutes.  (I am out of rice krispies so I can't make rice krispie treats, my usual 'go to' in a bind!)  I decide carmel bars.  I finish listening to Tanner read.  It is 8:20.  I start on the carmel bars.  By this time Emma has finished piano and dashes up wondering what she can do to help - love that girl!  I have her stir the carmel bits on the stove while them melt.  Friday means spelling tests.  I give Tanner a quick test to make sure he has his words down.  He has ten spelling words.  He misses every single one.  I show him his mistakes and have him start writing his words.  I try to give him any last minute tricks and tools and hope like crazy he will remember!  I quickly start throwing four lunches together when Parker runs into the kitchen, "Mom I totally forgot I have a really hard test today and I left my study guide at school!"  It is about 8:38.  I look at him and tell him to run upstairs with me and I will do his hair and he can go to school early to study.  As I am hair spraying his hair he proceeds to tell me he hasn't had breakfast.  I tell him to brush his teeth and I will grab him a toast and a banana.  I run (yes literally run at this point)  downstairs, pop him down a toast, grab him a banana and throw the last few things in his lunch.  I send him on his way.  It is 8:45.  I spread the melted caramels on the crust and throw them back in the oven.  I race upstairs to do Tanner's and Emma's hair.  Tanner is out the door by about 8:52.  Emma is ready by 9:00.  I pull the caramel bars out of the oven but they are too hot to cut.  I tell her to please try and come home at recess to get them and take them for her and Parker.  She is out the door late.  As I shut the door and turn around the kitchen is in utter chaos as you can imagine.  I clean up the kitchen just in time to take Anna to school.  I get back and by this time it is nearly 10:00.  Lexi reminds me about the barn.  I tell her we will go downstairs and finish our workout, shower and go.  We do just that.  We get out of the door a little before noon.  We load up and head out to the barn.  It is packed!  We have a great time.  Lexi especially enjoys riding the pony.  We drive straight to the school - fifteen minutes late for book fair take down.  I finish at the book fair at 3:00.  We head up and catch our breath, but only for a moment….the afternoon rush is about to start - tennis, piano, homework…...

Upon reflection I am so grateful to be a mom.  I wouldn't trade it for anything. I love being their to make treats and smoothies, go on field trips to the barn, volunteer at the school, witness the wonder of learning to read, and listen to little musicians attempting the works of the great composers.  I love and embrace the insanity I call "My Life"



*Epilogue*
Emma's teacher did let her run home and get the carmel bars at recess. She delivered them to Parker in time and all were happy!

Tanner Got 100% on his spelling test!

After a day like that I decided that it was a definitely go out to dinner kind of night!

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. YOU ARE AMAZING! Sister, that is so great. The older I get, the more I marvel at all mothers do. I hope all my sisters know I look up to and admire your constant love and service to all those around you- many of you to your own children.

    I am so blessed to call you my sisters!

    And HOLY SMOKES Mom, how did she raise 11 children?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, I loved reading this. I think you are such a beautiful example of a mom: loving, serving, giving, caring. I love that this little snippet of your life shows how different each of your children are and how you uniquely reach out to them. I am so grateful for your example as a mom - I have never questioned whether you love being a mother.

    I echo Holly: so grateful for the wonderful moms my sisters are!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love a happy ending! Way to multi-task and keep your head high as you deal with crisis after crisis! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete