Monday, September 29, 2014

Swimming Toward the Light


This past month I had the opportunity to go to Click Away, a photography conference that lasted for three days.  I loved it!  I learned so much and left the conference feeling totally inspired, not just in photography but in life.  The last class that I attended was called "Why Black and White" by Cole Thompson.  I added the class to my schedule at the last minute because I haven't shot many black and white pictures and was curious about it and wanted to learn more.  I was so glad I did.  It was one of my favorite classes.  Here are a few tidbits that I learned from teacher Cole Thompson.

We each must have a vision.  You may ask, "what is a vision?"  Cole defined it as a "Sum total of life's experiences".  We each have a unique vision.  Find your vision and share it with others.    

Don't be afraid to be yourself.  Don't copy others.  He gave the example of The Mona Lisa.  If you bought a paint by number kit to try and recreate your own Mona Lisa it would be just a shadow of the original.  The Mona Lisa has already been painted.  "They who walk in another's footsteps never find their own path"

Cole Thompson visited Auschwitz a concentration camp.  He created a very moving portfolio called The Ghosts of Auschwitz ( http://www.colethompsonphotography.com/Ghosts.htm)  He talked a little bit about survivors he has met from Auschwitz.  People who lived were all positive, optimistic and hopeful.  Are we living? 


At the end of each class he teaches he says he always does a drawing to give away three of his prints.  I was shocked when he read my name.  He handed me my picture and I sat down and looked at it trying to decide if I liked it.  The swimmer was sort of fuzzy and the picture seemed dark.  But as soon as I read the title and continued to take in all of his lecture I knew I loved it.  The print is titled "Swimming Toward the Light"  It is a picture of his daughter swimming at their hotel in Hawaii.  As I looked at the picture it again it was like a "lightbulb" moment.

Life often seems dark and fuzzy.  It isn't always easy to tread and sometimes darkness feels all enveloping.  We feel alone.  We struggle and try to make it through and sometimes all we can do is look torward the light and just keep swimming.  And then when you reach the light it feel so good and you just hold on tight and look ahead and know that when you are with HIM you are okay because it isn't dark, it is bright, it is hopeful, and life is beautiful.  




3 comments:

  1. I love this post. As I grow up, I realize that the way I do things is not "wrong," it is just my vision of life. I like the idea that we are all swimming towards the light and although things are unclear a times, we can continue to swim and progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, sis! I just stared at the picture for a couple of minutes. I enjoyed your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got goosebumps when I read this, Sir. Not sure why, but it hit home for me.

    Reminds me of Helen Keller "Keep your face to the sun and you will never see the shadows."

    Also, good for you for taking time to go to a conference. I had a teacher once that said "If you want to feel young, fall in love or learn something." I love the feeling of learning and am glad you enjoyed the conference!

    ReplyDelete