Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Canal Runs

The last few months I have been running on the canal roads.  You may be wondering why I feel this is post worthy (I am wondering it myself), but it just baffles me why I do not see more runners/walkers using them.  I love that I am not inhaling car fumes, but rather looking at ducks swimming, cows grazing, horses roaming, and dogs barking.  

Moving from Arkansas (the Natural State), one of the things I miss the very most is running between the 2 Rivers Bridge and the Big Dam Bridge.  I grew to really love being off the beaten path, surrounded by nature.  In Arkansas, I loved seeing cardinals, deer, pelicans, beaver (once!), the flowers, trees and water (the snakes I do not miss seeing!).  I would meet up with friends on Saturday mornings for long runs (8-13+ miles), and we would run and talk and take everything in.  

I am trying to get to a place in my running where it isn't work, where I can just run and let my mind wander.  It is so therapeutic.  Right now I am doing a variety of running workouts to get myself back in shape.  Mondays I run a moderate pace for 4-5 miles.  Tuesdays I am playing soccer (all women's team- it is a lot of fun!).  Wednesdays is an easy pace for 3-4 miles.  Thursdays I do speed work (tough workout).  Fridays are cross training (usually P90x or Insanity).  Saturdays are my long runs (right now around 8 miles).  I would love to run another 1/2 marathon, but I do not have my speed or distance where I want them yet.

If you haven't tried running, you really should.  Once you get past the "work" stage, you will see why it is so addictive.  You could tweak your running distances to the above schedule, and work toward a weekly mileage goal.  If anyone ever wants to meet up and go running with me, I am always up for a run.  Just let me know when, and I will see if I can make it happen.   

3 comments:

  1. I am not sure I have ever gotten past the point when running is work-ha! I will take you up on a run-how does this Saturday at 8 AM at Bingham sound? See you then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sis, next time we're in town let's do it! I would love to train to do a half marathon... it is a recent ambition of mine after I just watched a ton of runners do the "Top of Utah" marathon. It looked awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Holly a half marathon! Julie I think you are amazing to get out with all your little kiddos! An inspiration to us all!

    ReplyDelete