Monday, April 21, 2014

Timberlakes Estates

As I have let my mind wander down Memory Lane this past week, I have "seen" a lot of wonderful scenes.  Some of you may be too young to remember the cabin we had in Timberlake Estates, but I have many memories of going there.  It seems to me that we would only ever go in the winter, when there was a lot of snow on the ground.  I can remember attempting to drive up Blue Spruce Drive, which was the road our cabin was on, and inevitably we would get stuck.  Sometimes we would start sliding back down the hill (which I found terrifying!), other times Dad would yell for us all to get out and start pushing.  One time I recall parking the van and driving the snowmobiles in the rest of the way.  There was a generator that Dad would fire up, and we would have a roaring fire inside.  Upstairs, in a game room, were a number of beds.  It was always cold upstairs, but we had a fun time playing.  I think the bulk of our time was spent outdoors.  We could explore the mountain behind our home, which sloped down to the end of our property.  I LOVED taking the four wheelers and snow scoots out to explore.  The more I think about it, I do recall going in the autumn time and seeing all the leaves changing colors.  We would find a lot of different wild animals on our explorations- deer, porcupines, squirrels, birds, etc.  We had a really long table in the kitchen that had bench type seating on both sides.  The kitchen, in my mind, was not very large.  Outside Dad screwed in brushes so we could attempt to clean off our shoes before going inside.  I am sure we took a lot of nature in with us though.  One particular outing on the snowmobiles, Dad took us to Suicide Hill (at least I remember thinking you would have to be suicidal to attempt to drive up it).  The Hill was so steep it curled at the top, and snowmobilers flocked there to attempt to go over it.  I remember watching snowmobiler after snowmobiler driving their fastest, only to be forced to turn their snowmobile back down the way they came.  I felt sick to my stomach that Dad was going to make me try it (because I was very headstrong and would have done it because I could do anything)!  Other times I remember passing the lake and seeing deer or people that had fallen through the ice.  We would sit and watch the rescue efforts from a safe distance.  I recall swinging on the circle swing Dad hooked to a rope in the front yard.  Another memory is of breaking the upstairs door- the girls were on the inside, boys were on the outside.  We were all pushing in opposite directions and it broke.  Dad wanted to know who was responsible and we all denied having a thing to do with it.  Dad was so patient with us as we destroyed a lot of really nice things (he still is!).  The kids weren't the only one causing damage though.  I remember Grandma and Grandpa Milar came with us to the cabin.  Grandma got on the four wheeler and was driving at a snails pace when she hit a tree.  She was bruised for what seems like an eternity.  I don't recall how the four wheeler faired.  I am sure it was a ton of work to plan a trip to the cabin.  We would stop at the grocery store in Heber to stock up on supplies.  I have fond memories of the cabin and am very appreciative of Mom and Dad for investing in it.

*I realize this isn't a story as much as it is a collection of thoughts about the cabin.  Unfortunately, the memories all have blurred together.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading this! I was young enough during the cabin days that I just have faint "snapshot" memories: seeing a porcupine puff up in the road, flying on the four wheelers AWAY from the moose, seeing millions of leaves on the group, the red trunk we kept the food in, the steep hill outside the house, the lake we drove past, and one time having our wheels over the edge of the blasted road as we tried to make it up. It is so fun to read your memories about it all and fill in some of the gaps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember crashing the four wheeler. I panicked and hit the the gas instead of the break and ran into a tree. Dad was so patient with me and my stupidity!
    Fun memories. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete