Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Exercise


As a child with severe asthma, I dreamed of running.  I always thought it looked so exhilarating to run and run and run. I have such vivid memories from my childhood laying on the couch and wishing and wanting so desperately to run and play with my siblings.  As silly as it sounds I remember being so excited to go to heaven so that I could run and Dad's back wouldn't hurt.  As a child I never thought thought my dream could be realized in this life.  

With the determination of two amazing parents - who sacrificed so much time and money,  lots of amazing doctors, biweekly allergy shots, inhalers, and lots of prayers I was able to start exercising and running in high school.  

A day has not gone by since that I have not appreciated what my body can do.  I love to exercise.  It is as exhilarating as I dreamed it would be.  I love to exercise - because I finally can.

I want to always be able to run and I realize in order to do that I need to take good care of my body.  I have found that yoga does wonders.  It is hard to pinpoint exactly what it does but I just feel better when I regularly do yoga.  I started yoga with P90X and have since found a Yoga Center that I love to go to for a more meditative setting - as opposed to children running under my legs and jumping over my head.  


So my challenge to you is to try yoga.  As you can see it has many healthy benefits.  Find a DVD (P90X is great), a class, something online or even an app (I love POPSUGAR) and start experiencing the benefits of yoga.  Love your body everyday for what it does for you!








1 comment:

  1. After I had Max I needed knee surgery on both my knees. It was horrible not being able to run (something I had always loved to do). Once I finally recovered I started running and running and truly enjoying it (even the hills!). It is amazing how much we take our functioning bodies for granted. I, too, enjoy doing yoga. I have not done it lately though, so this is great motivation for me to pull my DVD out and do it again!

    ReplyDelete