Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Boy Whose Name I Forgot

This past week on our long drive home from Scottsdale we were almost to Nephi and the kiddos were losing it.  We were all tired and ready to be home and still had an hour and a half drive.  Something my kids love to hear are stories from when I was a little girl so I decided to tell the kids stories from my life.    An hour and a half and many stories later we made it home.  I was amazed how interested they were and how much the enjoyed hearing about my life - which I never would have thought was so interesting.  I will not share with you the hour and a half long story, for obvious reasons, but I will just share a short memory from my life that my children especially enjoyed hearing.

When I went UVSC, now UVU, I was coming off a very devastating break up.  In attempts to deal with my heart break I was taking maximum class load and trying very hard to move on with my life.  Suffice it to say I wanted nothing to do with boys.  I remember telling Julie if a boy was to ask me out I would turn him down.  I needed time to heal.

I was taking a required class, Ethics and Values, and I found it fascinating.  I was solely focused on my education and was oblivious to almost everything else.  About a month into the class I started to notice that a boy in my class, whose name I had been told and almost immediately forgotten, kept walking out of class the same time I did.  He remembered my name.  I found it a bit awkward that I didn't know his name but I didn't really worry about it because I didn't like boys.  After a few weeks of walking out together I decided it was time to do a test to see if it was truly coincidental.  The next day in class I took notes up to the very last second of class.  I slowly piled my books up and carefully reorganized them in my back.  I put my jacket on and zipped it up before I carefully adjusted my backpack on my back.  As I turned to leave sure enough the boy, whose name I had forgotten, was still there.  

I realized that for some strange reason this boy wanted to walk with me.  I was adjusting to the thought that perhaps this kid, who kept calling me by name, was maybe interested. I was trying to figure out a way to let him know I was very uninterested in boys, nothing personal of course.  We were coming to the place where we parted ways, I said goodbye and turned to go into the library when he called after me, "Mary, me and a bunch of friends are going to a Peter Breinholt concert.  I don't know if you have heard of him but I was just wondering if you wanted to go with me?"  My mind was racing, remembering how I said I would turn any boy down that asked me, I was still heartbroken, I was focusing on school, I didn't want to date... And then to my disbelief I could hear my self saying, "Sure I know Peter Breinholt and I would love to go."  I gave him my home phone number and he promised to call that night and give me the details.

As I walked away I wondered what in the world I had done!  I didn't even know his name!  I didn't like boys!  What had I just gotten myself into?  I raced home and begged Julie to be on phone duty, which was no small task with thirteen people in a household.  Anytime the phone rang she faithfully answered it.  If it was for me she would politely ask, "May I ask who is calling?"  Julie was a saint and answered the phone for six hours until finally at about half past nine the phone rang and it was for me and it was Jeff.


  

4 comments:

  1. I love hearing this story again. :) I am so grateful for Jeffrey's tenacity-I'd never want you with anyone else and he surely got the most wonderful woman of all!

    I also smiled to think about you telling your kids about your life. Stories are so powerful and I'm sure they loved connecting with a younger mom than the one they currently know. How fun for them to imagine you their age.

    Thanks for taking time to write this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sound like a hero. I guess I should be credited for you and Jeff going out. You're welcome! (I really don't recall being such an important part, but I am so glad you two are now happily married! Love the story.)

    ReplyDelete