Thursday, March 6, 2014

3 Gardens

So after my first year gardening (with Paige's assistance, of course), I've learned a few things and made some pretty rookie mistakes.  I took a 6-week class from a guy who works with the USU agriculture department for years and had his own home garden as well.  The nice thing is that all his information is from and for Utah.  I've laid out a few steps I've used this year before I even bought my seeds.


1.  I sat down with Mom and we decided what vegetables we wanted to grow this year.  I made a full list so I had all the vegetables in one place and could go from there.
2.  I looked up all the vegetables to find out what their growing requirements are and whether they're for the Spring Garden, Summer Garden, or Fall Garden.  (Oh, by the way, there are 3 gardens to plant!)
3.  I then drew up a garden plan.  I laid out the garden based off of a few things: whether the plants like full sun or partial shade, watering requirements, planting time, and height of the plants.
Here is my plan:
Once I wrote up my plan and decided where to put all my plants, then I ordered seeds. 

They're on their way and the Spring Garden will go in ASAP (from Guerney's with their half-off coupon).  The Spring Garden consists of the lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, and peas.  I'll start some of these indoors and transplant them outdoors as soon as they come up; others I'll just sow directly in the ground.  I'll harvest them before it gets too hot and then re-plant them either in July or August so they come up again in the Fall Garden when it's cool again!

Also, before planting make sure to create your watering plan (I'm using furrows both to walk in for weeding and watering ease) and make sure to fertilize and till your garden. 

I'll update with the Summer Garden - to be planted after danger of frost, in Utah usually after/around Mother's Day - in my next post!

8 comments:

  1. Great plan! I will say weed paper is amazing! After we till, we put weed paper down and then cut and pin open slits/squares where we put our plants. It cuts way way way down on time spent weeding out weeds. Plus, we don't get our feet muddy as the weed paper provides a barrier. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try it! Dad wants me to get it for sure this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sis you are amazing. I need to take lessons from you. Each year my garden is a dismal failure. I do think some of that has to do with the deer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah! I didn't know it's already time to plant! We found out that gophers did make it through our several layers and started eating our garden last year. :( Looks like it may be all container gardening this year for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooo-gophers! I actually learned the best way to get rid of them! Get a gopher probe and full it with grain and poison (striknine sp?). Poke a hole in the tunnel and deposit the bait in the hole.

      Delete
  5. It was fun to see your starters in the window today. I am so excited to continue to hear about the gardening this year!
    -Sheri

    ReplyDelete