Monday, January 27, 2014

Workout

Good morning sisters!

I have decided to do a post today about a quick workout that I have found works really well when I don't have long and getting to the gym isn't an option.

Starting CrossFit, there is a movement we frequently do- BURPEES!!! :)

They are pretty hard, but a super great way to hit all the major muscle groups and get some good cardio in as well.

I have included a link below with a nice video demonstration of how to "properly" do a burpees. Essentially, you get your chest to the floor, then jump back up as quickly as possible. The form of the push up doesn't really matter, you can do "girl push ups" and use your knees, or if you want more of an arm/chest workout, work on your form of your push up. You also can "worm" your way up and down, like is demonstrated in the video.

http://www.crossfitrainer.com/2012/11/burpee-how-to-do-burpees-properly.html

So here's the workout:

100 burpees.
       I know the number is intimidating, but break it down! I have found it easiest to break it into sets of 10. I will do 10 and then rest for 15-30 seconds then do the next set. If you are struggling to do 10 without resting, break it into sets of 5 with 30 second breaks in between or minute breaks between sets. It is exhausting, but feels so good when you are done!

I am to the point that I can do quite a few burpees without stopping so I find it a great challenge to time myself and see how quickly I can get 100 done. This is a great way to challenge yourself and again, get a full body workout in in just a couple minutes.

If I want to get a little more of a workout in after I've done burpees, I often to plank holds (front, left, and right) immediately afterwards for a minute each. You can also add in extra jumps between touching your chest if you want more of a leg workout, etc. This workout is nice because you can modify it to work specific areas but just doing the regular burpee hits legs, stomach, shoulders, chest, etc. This movement can just be completed in your living room so that also makes them convenient.

I hope this is a helpful idea :)

Have a wonderful day!

Love,

Your sister from Logan, Utah :)

2 comments:

  1. I am a little embarrassed to confess this but I have never done a burpee! Next time I wake up late and miss the gym I'm giving this a go, maybe jump roping in between (my ultimate at home workout). Thanks, Holl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a quick run today and started my 100 burpees. I made it to 23 before I had to jump in the shower so I could feed my screaming babies. I had been trying to do the Insanity DVDs, and you do a lot of burpees with it. However, I like your link as it shows me other options (not doing the pushup, worming up/down, etc). Thanks for a great post, Sister in Logan. :)

    ReplyDelete