Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Egg and Avocado Quesadillas

Sometimes you just need a dinner that is quick, simple, delicious, and uses ingredients that you almost always have on hand: this is that recipe.

You'll notice the recipe is written pretty loosely: it's quite adaptable/forgiving so adjust as you like.  The one downside is that if you want to eat them piping hot you can't all eat at the same time (unless you can master having multiple pans going simultaneously, which would be impressive indeed).  TJ and I make two and eat them while the pan is off the heat so we can eat together. 


Egg and Avocado Quesadillas

Adapted from Everyday Reading

Egg
Avocado
Cheese (queso blanco, cotija, cheddar, a Mexican blend - any of these taste great)
Tortilla 
Salt and pepper
Butter
Salsa

Sheri, I think this would be great with corn tortillas, so it's gluten free.  If you heat the corn tortillas first - almost until you can't touch them - they will fold without breaking.  Of course you probably already know that.

1. Heat a good pan over medium high heat (we do between 6-7 out of 9).
2. While it's heating, beat one egg in a bowl and put salt pepper on it.
3. Put some butter in the pan (it should be hot enough that it sizzles rather immediately) and move it around so it covers the whole bottom of the pan.  I will confess here that we have never tried using non-stick spray, but it would probably work.
4. Pour the egg in and let it sit until it's mostly set.
5. Put a tortilla on top of the egg and flip the whole thing over, so you're holding the tortilla with the egg on top.
6. Put some sliced (or mashed or whatever) avocado on half the egg.
7. Put some cheese on half the egg.
8. Fold in half (quesadilla style) and put back into the pan.
9. Cook until golden/browned (whatever your flavor).
10. Serve with salsa on top.

And now, these same directions in pictures.  :)  Enjoy!

-Rachel












4 comments:

  1. I love it! :) I also bet you loved taking those pictures with Joter. You are the cutest. I can't wait to try it! YUM! I have made something similar before but I added green and red peppers and onions so it was almost a fajita but with eggs instead of chicken or beef. It was rather delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great! When TJ and I make breakfast burritos with onions and peppers I especially love putting crispy hashbrowns in - give it a try!

      Delete
  2. That sounds delicious! I am obsessed right now with egg panini sandwiches which are in the same family! I scramble egg whites, add peppers, put them in a tortilla in smash them in my new panini press. Then I smother it with salsa and it it pure deliciousness!
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so good! I've been looking for a new recipie to use in my Panini grill!

    ReplyDelete