Thursday, January 16, 2014

Trick for NO Nausea

I know that this post isn’t really pertinent to most of you right now, but hopefully this will help some of you or even your friends out if you get morning sickness when you become pregnant and aren’t finding anything that is effective for you!  
 
This past year has been interesting in the sense that I have been pregnant three times and had about seven months of first trimesters. Because of this I have learned to really appreciate having something to help with nausea! I have tried so many different anti-nausea medicines and none of them have been very effective, some have even made my symptoms worse. After talking to some of you that have been pregnant it sounds like you’ve had the same problem. 

About a month ago I was at the doctor’s office and told about a brand new anti-nausea medicine called Diclegis. I was told that this medicine is the most effective anti-nausea medicine they have ever had on the market but that most women do not ever get to use it because it is so expensive. I was given sample bottles of the medicine and found that it was extremely effective. This past Tuesday I was down to my last sample and went to the pharmacy to have a prescription filled for the medicine. I was told that it had to go through insurance first and I would not get the medicine for days. (A lot of insurance companies won't cover the medicine at all). A kind pharmacist spoke up and told me that really this medicine is just made up of two ingredients that can be bought for a very low price at the grocery store and I could save hundreds a month if I let her break it down for me. 


The sample bottle that I was given has 10mg pills of Diclegis in it. You start the medicine by taking two pills at night before bed. If nausea persists on day 3 you can increase the medicine by taking the two at night like you have been and add one in the morning (for a total of 3). If symptoms persist add another tablet in the afternoon on day 4 (for a total of 4).


Here is the breakdown of what 1 Diclegis pill actually contains:
1 pill of Diclegis= 12mg of Unisom (Doxylamine), 25mg of Vitamin B6

Unisom is a sleep aid that is sold in any grocery store; you just have to make sure it says Doxylamine on the box as well. The pharmacist helped me find a box that had 25mg pills inside of it. I just cut the pill in half. It is a small enough amount I am able to take it during the day and I don’t feel sleepy. 


Vitamin B6 is also sold in any grocery store. The pharmacist helped me find 100mg tablets of the vitamin. I cut the pill into fourths (it sounds like it would just crumble but it actually does not). She said it wouldn’t be a big deal if the pill didn’t cut into fourths very well and I took a little extra Vitamin B6 because your body will just remove the extra waste.

I take half the pill of Unisom and a fourth of the pill of Vitamin B6 as needed 1-4 times a day and have felt so much better. 

Like I said, this has been the most helpful aid for my nausea this past year. Hopefully it helps some of you out with nausea and finances in the future as well!

-Sheri 

2 comments:

  1. I hope your nausea goes away sooner than later! Glad you found something to help you feel better though. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it amazing how much prescriptions can cost! So glad you found a way around it!

    ReplyDelete